Hello and Welcome!

I will be posting books that are widely read and appreciated

I may not be able to post often, but it will be my endeavour to post as much as I can,  so keep visiting......

Please send your comments/suggestions/feedback to
ngnm4ever@gmail.com.I will get back to you as soon as I can

Cheers!!!

I am looking for latest issues of GQ British/US edition. Please email me if you know where I can download it. Thanks!!!



Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

The Book:




About the Book:

Diaspora, myth and a fascinating language mashup propel the Rubik's cube of plots in Ghosh's picaresque epic of the voyage of the Ibis, a ship transporting Indian girmitiyas (coolies) to Mauritius in 1838. The first two-thirds of the book chronicles how the crew and the human cargo come to the vessel, now owned by rising opium merchant Benjamin Burnham. Mulatto second mate Zachary Reid, a 20-year-old of Lord Jim–like innocence, is passing for white and doesn't realize his secret is known to the gomusta (overseer) of the coolies, Baboo Nob Kissin, an educated Falstaffian figure who believes Zachary is the key to realizing his lifelong mission. Among the human cargo, there are three fugitives in disguise, two on the run from a vengeful family and one hoping to escape from Benjamin. Also on board is a formerly high caste raj who was brought down by Benjamin and is now on his way to a penal colony. The cast is marvelous and the plot majestically serpentine, but the real hero is the English language, which has rarely felt so alive and vibrant.

One of Economist's Best Books of 2008

Farrar, Straus and Giroux | 399 Pages | ISBN: 0312428596 | 1.2 MB

Download from Rapidshare.com

Password : ngnm

No comments:

Post a Comment